Cinnamon essential oil is a wonderful oil to have in your collection year round but it is especially useful (in my opinion) in the fall and winter seasons! The smell of cinnamon oil makes me so happy and I love having it in my diffuser when the weather starts to cool down!
I know the weather is still warm but it will be cooling down in the next few months and I wanted to be sure you have the time to add cinnamon to your collection!
This is the second post in my series on how to use some of the less talked about essential oils! Be sure to also check out:
Benefits of Using Cinnamon Essential Oil
Benefits of Cinnamon Essential Oil
Support Your Immune System with Cinnamon Essential Oil
Cinnamon can be very helpful in supporting your immune system. You can either use cinnamon regularly or you can use it when you are not feeling up to par.
How to Use Cinnamon for Immune Support
- Apply 1-2 drops of cinnamon essential oil DILUTED to the soles of your feet. I would recommend making a roller bottle with 8 drops of cinnamon and fill the rest of the 10ml bottle with a carrier oil. Since cinnamon is a hot oil you want to make sure it is diluted and this will also make application easier.
Also Read: How to Dilute Essential Oils
Repel Insects with Cinnamon
Bugs, especially mosquitoes do not like cinnamon! Like eucalyptus, cinnamon is great in helping to send those pesky bugs packing!
How to Use Cinnamon to Repel Bugs
- Put 1-2 drops of cinnamon into 100ml of water and diffuse into the air in the area you want to repel bugs from.
- Put a few drops on a cotton ball and place near problem area (if insects are in the home)
Add Flavour with Cinnamon
Cinnamon is used in a variety of different items including baking, hot drinks and even oral care products! You can also use cinnamon essential oil to add flavour! If you choose to ingest cinnamon essential oil, it is important that you read the label to see if the company recommends ingesting as not all companies recommend this. I suggest checking out this article on the debate on whether or not to ingest essential oils before you decide what to do.
How to Add Flavour with Cinnamon
- Make your own toothpaste and add cinnamon essential oil
- Add a drop of cinnamon essential oil to your baking
Deodorize Your Home Using Cinnamon
Cinnamon has such a wonderful smell and makes any space smell amazing! Not only does it add an aroma, it also helps to deodorize other smells in your home! Here are some other great essential oils to freshen your home.
How to Use Cinnamon to Deodorize
- Add 1-2 drops of cinnamon into 100ml of water and diffuse into the air
- Make a wonderful Fall or Winter (holiday) diffuser blend to bring seasonal scents into your home!
- Make your own scented Christmas tree ornament using cinnamon essential oil.
Safety Precautions for Cinnamon Essential Oil
As with any essential oil, it is recommended that you speak to a medical professional prior to using an oil if you are pregnant or nursing.
Cinnamon is a ‘hot’ oil and should always be diluted in a carrier oil prior to use. I recommend creating a 10ml roller bottle with 6-8 drops of cinnamon and fill the rest of the bottle with a carrier oil. I have not diluted cinnamon enough in the past and I had red patches develop on my skin. I would recommend diluting as recommended above and also test it on a small patch of skin before applying to a larger area.
DIY Projects Using Cinnamon Essential Oil
Free EO Email Course!
Sign up and you will receive an email every day for 5 days to help you feel prepared and confident when using essential oils to naturally support your family's health & wellness!