I have been attempting to reduce the chemical products we use in our home and replace them with homemade all natural products. My rule with all DIY projects is that they need to be quick and easy as you may know from my exfoliating soap, diy sprays, body butter and sugar scrub recipes. This essential oil foaming hand soap is no different, seriously it took me less than 3 minutes to make this recipe! Also I can’t even imagine how much it cost me… my guess would be about 50 cents including the cost of the essential oils! I think you would be very hard pressed to find a store bought foaming hand soap of any kind for that cost!
DIY All Natural Essential Oil Foaming Hand Soap
Ok let’s talk about what you need to make the recipe!
What You Need:
- 2 Tablespoons of Dr. Bronner’s Castile Soap (either scented or unscented will work just fine)
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons of Grapeseed oil (this is what I used but I think fractionated coconut oil would work just as well if that is what you have on hand).
- 12 drops of essential oil (I used eucalyptus)
- 1 1/2 cups of water
- A recycled foaming hand soap bottle (or you can purchase one like this)
How to Make It:
- Rinse and clean you recycled foaming hand soap bottle.
- Add 2 Tbsp of Dr. Bronner’s soap (I used the peppermint scented kind), 1 1/2 Tbsp of grapeseed oil and 12 drops of essential oil (stay away from citrus oils as it may interact poorly with the plastic container) into the empty bottle.
- Add 1/2 cups of water to the bottle.
- Screw the pump top on to the bottle and you are ready to use!
- Do not shake the bottle once you add the water. You will notice that the soap interacts with the water as soon as it is added and shaking could cause the bottle to overflow with soap suds.
- You can choose any essential oil you would like, in fact you don’t have to use any at all! I would not recommend using citrus oils as they can break down the plastic which could cause problems with how your pump works.
I hope you will give this essential oil foaming hand soap recipe a try! It is super easy to make, all natural, affordable and the best part is that you can customize it to any scent you like! Think of all the possibilities of changing the scents to match the seasons!