Mother’s Day is only 3 days away! Did you forget? Are you having a hard time deciding what to get her? Short on time and funds? Don’t worry… we have 5 quick, easy, and inexpensive DIY Mother’s Day gift ideas that you can make for mom this year.
For this post I have teamed up with Adriana Nudo who blogs at Daily Dose of Design. Adriana blogs about fashion, design, DIY projects, recipes, as well as product recommendations. If it has to do with any kind design, Adriana talks about it! Check out here blog here!
Ok now time to check out our DIY Mother’s Day Gift Ideas!
1. DIY Essential Oil Lip Scrub
This is one of my must haves, I make and use it often. This scrub is great for those with chapped lips but also for people who want to keep their lips feels soft—mom will love it!
What you need:
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Essential oil of your choice
A glass container with a lid – I found mine at Dollarama for $1
Combine 3 tablespoons of brown sugar with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Stir and add 2-3 drops of an essential oil of your choice. I chose to use wild orange but you could also use another citrus oil, lavender peppermint, or frankincense. Stir one more time and voilà, you are done!
2. DIY Essential Oil Bath Salts
Help mom to relax this Mother’s Day with an essential oil infused bath!
What you need:
Essential Oil of your choice
A glass container with an air tight lid (mason jar, spaghetti sauce jar etc)
First pour the Epsom salt into the jar… now you know how much will fit in the jar! Dump the salt from the jar and into a mixing bowl. Add 8-10 drops of your favourite essential oil in the bowl. I chose lavender (relaxation) but you could also choose a citrus oil (uplifting/detoxifying), a calming blend (relaxation), Wintergreen or a soothing blend for pain. Mix the epsom salts and oil together. Stir thoroughly making sure there are no clumps. Now pour the salts in the jar and voilà, mom is ready to have an essential oil infused bath! Note: the jar I made is enough for about 2 baths.
Check out this cute essential oil poem to add in with mom’s gift!
Need one last essential oil DIY Mother’s Day gift idea? Check out my DIY Essential Oil Car Diffuser!
Now for the next 3 DIY Mother’s Day gift ideas presented to you by the amazing Adriana!
3. DIY Quick and Easy Bath Bombs
There is no better way to end a long day or enjoy a night to yourself than taking a bath with an amazing scented bath bomb filled bath!
- Get your ingredients together: Bath bombs come in tons of variations – different shapes, colors, smells, etc. so depending on your favorites, your recipes to make your own will vary a bit, but here’s my favorite recipe that I tried
What you’ll need:
8 oz. of baking soda
4 oz. corn starch
4 oz. fine Epsom salt
4 oz. of citric acid
2 tsp. of almond oil (or any essential oil that you may like!)
1 tsp. of water
3-6 drops of food coloring of your choice
You can use any kind of mold that you may have to make these bath bombs – ice cube trays, muffin tins, circle mold, etc. One of my favorite tricks to make these is using plastic Easter eggs!
My favorite types of scents to include are lavender, grapefruit or citrus.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl and stir – corn starch, Epsom salt, baking soda and citric acid
- Combine the wet ingredients in a bowl and stir – water, oil/scent, almond oil, food coloring
- Mix dry and wet ingredients together until it starts to thicken together
- Separate the mixture and pour into the mold you chose. Be sure to pack it in tightly for best results!
- Let the bath bombs dry completely. This will probably take 10 minutes until you can remove the bombs from the mold. Be super careful taking them out since they’re still fragile! It’s best to place them on wax paper on a soft surface (so they don’t roll) and leave them for a day if possible.
You can wrap these adorable bath bombs up and I guarantee the special woman/women in your life will love them!
4. Homemade Air Fresheners
I always have a pretty scented air freshener opened at home – especially during this time of year! They can give such a fresh feel to any room and they’re fun to collect too! I usually buy mine, but I thought making some especially for Mother’s Day would be an awesome DIY gift idea!
What you’ll need:
Mini mason jar(s) depending on what size you want yours to be, I use mini mason jars (can be found at Michael’s!)
Any scented essential oil of your choice (8-12 drops)
- Fill your jar about halfway with baking soda and add 8-12 drops of your choice of essential oil
- Lightly mix together (it can be shaken up every few days to revive the scent
- You can then wrap the jar with ribbon, a scent label, gift tag, etc of your choice!
This DIY is super simple and goes such a long way! I love making these especially since they can be customized so much!
5. DIY Tiered Tray
I absolutely LOVE tiered trays for more than dessert/food displays. I have one in my room for perfume, one in my bathroom, one in the kitchen, and I think they make a great DIY project! I wish I learned this DIY before buying the one in my bedroom – because these trays do not come cheap! On the other hand, making one yourself is super inexpensive and can look so gorgeous!
Here’s what you’ll need:
2 or 3 crystal candle stick holders – (can be bought in the dollar store/Michael’s)
Metal trays or glass dishes
Paint color of your choice
- Paint the trays/plates and let them dry fully – depending on the color you chose will determine how many coats will cover it fully, but I’ve found that two coats usually works!
- Glue the candle sticks in between the plates
Voila! You’re done! I love this idea – think about where you can have who you’re giving this gift to put it in their home. That way you can consider room colors and paint the trays in a color that matches! So super easy and so much fun to make!
We hope you enjoyed our last-minute Mother’s Day DIY gift ideas!
What will you be making for mom this Mother’s Day? We would love to hear from you!