You wouldn’t use an over the counter medication or even a vitamin without reading the bottle first, right? So why would you use essential oils without considering safety? Although essential oils are natural, they are also extremely potent!
Did you know:
- One drop of Pure Therapeutic Grade Peppermint essential oil is equal to 28 cups of tea!
- It takes 30 pounds of lavender to make ONE 15ml bottle of Pure Therapeutic Grade Lavender essential oil
My Essential Oil Safety Guide outlines important safety precautions for using essential oils.
Now that you understand how potent essential oils are, let me share some of my embarrassing, painful, awkward, and slightly hilarious essential oil experiences and mishaps!
My Family’s Most Embarrassing & Painful Essential Oil Experiences
1) My husband had used the Soothing Blend (for sore muscles), I am guessing it would have been on his shoulder. It was starting to work to relieve some of his pain and all was well in the world. Ten minutes later I heard him yell from the bathroom something like “IT BURNS”!!! He had forgotten to wash the Soothing Blend residue from his hands before going to the bathroom. There was some very high-pitched screaming going on along with sounds of agony and eventually trying to get relief from standing in front of the fan. All of this was happening as his very unhelpful wife was laughing hysterically with tears running down her face… I know, I know, shame on me… But can you honestly say you would have reacted differently? Eventually we got the situation under control and he was no longer in pain.
The moral of the story is ALWAYS wash your hands after applying essential oils… it is so easy to forget you used them which will only cause great discomfort… as you will continue to read about!
2) Here is another example of why you should always was your hands after applying oils! My husband had a headache and I was putting peppermint on the back of his neck and temples. I was done and began walking in the kitchen (I have no idea what for) and without a second thought rubbed my itchy eye with my hand… or should I say my peppermint hand. The pain was instant, intense, and horrible! I tried to run to the bathroom… I couldn’t open the peppermint eye because of the pain and the other eye was half-shut and running… maybe in sympathy?
How to get relief if (when) this happens to you: I managed to turn on the bathroom tap and washed my hands THOROUGHLY! I then took a few drops of fractionated coconut oil and applied it around the outside of my closed eye. Within 20-30 seconds the pain was gone.
Why does this work? Essential oil molecules are extremely small, making them very light. Each time I opened my eye, the molecules started to rise creating more pain in my eye. Whether near your eye or on another part of your body, a carrier oil is great as it helps to weigh the essential oil down, helping it to absorb into your skin.
Remember: No matter how many times you have used essential oils, you will forget and make this mistake (unless you are a perfect superhuman). I had probably done this 2-3 times prior with milder oils but peppermint was definitely the worst! If this happens to you remember to use a carrier oils around you closed eye (not in your eye)!
3) If you don’t already know this, Oregano is a HOT essential oil! I had a viral infection and was taking oregano in capsules 3x a day to try to help fight the infection. This had been going well but one day I was running late and stupid me decided to make an oregano capsule in the car. When dropping the oil in the capsule, I missed and got oil on my fingers and on the outside of the capsule. I was annoyed but finished making the capsule, popped it in my mouth and swallowed with water. Since there had been oregano on the outside of the capsule, it literally felt like a hole was burning through my tongue! I must have also touched my lip when putting it in my mouth as the left side of my lip became red as well as the skin around it! It literally looked like I had burned my face! Since I did not have a carrier oil with me, I used water (lots of it) which helped a bit.
Moral of the story, when using oregano topically, ALWAYS DILUTE. Also if you spill, wipe off the sides of the capsule and your hands before swallowing! To make matters worse, I smelled like a big plate of spaghetti for the rest of the day. My poor car smelled worse, it probably could have passed as an Italian food truck 😛 Oregano is a great essential oil, but take precaution and use common sense when applying it… not one of my finest moments!
Now don’t get me wrong, I LOVE essential oils! They are a great passion of mine and I believe everyone would benefit from using them! BUT, you must always consider safety before using them!
I am sure there have been more unfortunate moments that we have experienced, but these 3 are ones I will definitely never forget! I hope this gave you some insight into the importance of essential oil safety as well as a laugh or two along the way!
What has been your family’s most painful, embarrassing, awkward, or hilarious essential oil moment? Don’t be shy, I know you have 1… or 5 to share!
Free EO Email Course!
Sign up and you will receive an email every day for 5 days to help you feel prepared and confident when using essential oils to naturally support your family's health & wellness!