Do you make time to relax? Or do you feel that you are always so busy and while you would like to relax, you feel as though you simply do not have the time? I often fall into the second category. While I know relaxation and self-care are important, there are always other things that seem to take a higher priority. I have been working to be much more intentional about trying to fit in time for relaxation even when I am busy. My main strategies have been to use essential oil diffuser and roller bottle recipes to help promote relaxation. I find they work very well however I still need a distraction or my mind has a hard time settling down.
I decided to try and make some essential oil play dough so that I could benefit from essential oils while also keeping my hands busy which helped me to slow down my thoughts. I decided to use lavender essential oil in my play dough to help promote feelings of relaxation. You could also try using citrus oils to uplift your mood!
How to Make Lavender Essential Oil Play Dough
This is a super simple DIY that takes less than 10 minutes to make!
What You Need:
- 1 cup of all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup of salt
- 1 TBSP of cream of tartar
- 1 TBSP of olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups of boiling water
- 10-12 drops of lavender essential oil (or the oil of your choice)
- Food colouring (optional)
How to Make the Play Dough:
1) Combine the flour, salt, and cream of tartar in a bowl and mix
2) Add the olive oil and essential oils to the dry mixture (don’t stir yet)
3) Measure out the boiling water. If you choose to use food colouring, mix it into the water while it is in the measuring cup
4) Gradully pour the water into the mixture and stir until ingredients are mostly combined
5) You will then want to kneed the dough with your hands to make sure everything is combined but be sure to test the temperature of the dough first. If it is too hot, wait for it to cool down. Kneed the dough until it is no longer sticky.
6) Let the dough cool and then you can play with it or put it in a zipped bag or sealed container to help it last longer between uses.
Grab the Free Printable Recipe Straight to Your Inbox! Sign Up Below!
There you have it! Essential oil play dough which smells great, promotes relaxation and also is the perfect consistency for hours of fun for adults and kids alike!
Have you made essential oil play dough before? What essential oil did you use in your creation?