I used to think roller blends were so much work. I mean you had to get/buy the roller bottle, you needed a carrier oil plus they just seemed like a pain to make. Looking back I just sound lazy! But lazy or not, I just didn’t understand the benefit of making essential oil roller bottles!
Please note that this post does contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase from these links I will receive a percentage at no additional cost to you.
Are Essential Oil Roller Bottles Helpful?
When I am experiencing pain in my neck and shoulders I often use a blend of lemongrass and white fir but I also use a few drops of a carrier oil to help make it easier to spread across my shoulders. However there were 2 problems with this method:
- One of the oils would always find it’s way to the cracks between my fingers before I could get both essential oils and the carrier oil into my hand.
- There were days when I knew this blend would help however I just wouldn’t make it because it just seemed like too much work and would make such a big mess on my hands.
One night when I realized how stubborn and lazy I was being by choosing not to make the blend in my hand. This is when I started to reconsider using roller bottles for my blends. Now I love roller bottles so much that I have an ebook called Essential Oils Made Easy: DIY Diffuser & Roller Bottle Recipes.
Why I Love Essential Oil Roller Bottles:
1) They really don’t take long to make at all… at most they take 1 minute to make (can you believe I used to think they were hard?!?)
2) They are convenient. You just need to make the blend once to be able to use it whenever you need it. I use my pain blend a lot more now that it is in a roller bottle and easy to use!
3) You can take them with you. It is easy to throw a roller bottle in your bag and take it with you wherever you go. What isn’t easy is taking 2 (or more) essential oils plus the larger carrier oil bottle with you “just in case”.
4) If you have sensitive skin, you will want to dilute your essential oils in a carrier oil. You can use roller bottles to dilute your essential oils to make use with sensitive skin much easier.
5) Easily dilute hot/warm essential oils. Oils such as cinnamon and oregano are known as hot oils as they will literally burn/irritate your skin if applied directly… trust me, unfortunately I speak from experience on this one! I frequently use cinnamon essential oil so I added 8 drops of cinnamon (you may need to adjust this based on your skin’s tolerance) to a 10ml roller bottle and I filled the rest of the bottle with fractionated coconut oil.
6) Roller bottles make essential oil use with children much easier! When using essential oils with toddlers and school aged children you should dilute 1 drop of essential oil in 1 teaspoon of a carrier oil such as fractionated coconut oil or jojoba oil. Simply dilute the oils that you frequently use with your children in a roller bottle to make use much easier!
Note: When using essential oil roller bottles, you always want to gently shake the bottle end for end a few times to ensure that the oils are well mixed before every use.
Tips for Easy Roller Bottle Blends
Sometimes when you make roller bottles it can be hard to have the bottle stand up while making sure it doesn’t tip. I made this quick roller bottle holder to help prevent this problem!
Another thing that helps to make the creation of blends easier is to use an essential oil bottle tool. It allows you to easily remove and insert roller bottles tops & orifice reducers! Canadians, you can get one here!
Roller Bottle Supplies:
These are the items I use when making roller bottle blends:
- Coloured Roller Bottles: I have these rollers (seen in the picture above) and LOVE how colourful they are! They are great for helping to organize your blends! See them here: 10ml Roller Bottles These bottles are also now available in Canada, you can check them out here!
- Great deal for Canadians: This is absolutely the BEST deal I have found on essential oil roller bottles! They are glass bottles and have a plastic ball. I found it a bit hard to put the roller insert in the first time I used the bottles but other than that they are fantastic! You can get them with free shipping too! This pack worked out to $0.85/bottle CAD once Ontario tax was added. See them here!
If you guys love finding great deals then come on over and join my Facebook group where I share deals and freebies on essential oil supplies & accessories! Click the image that corresponds with your country below to be added to the correct group!
There are many different carrier oils you can choose from but these are some of my favourites:
Stainless Steel Funnel:
I personally do not use a funnel but I know many find it helpful when they are starting out! See it here!
Of course essential oils are always helpful in making essential oil roller blends 😉 I use and recommend using doTERRA oils. That said regardless of what oils you decide to use, please do your research first as not all oils are created equally! You can learn more about how to read essential oil labels here!
If you are interested in getting doTERRA essential oils at wholesale cost I would love to help you get started! Learn how to sign up here!
Have I convinced you that essential oil roller bottles really do make life easier? Trust me, I am the one who was to lazy to make them before so if I say they are easy… they really must be easy!
You can learn more about my ebook which shares many essential oil roller bottle recipes here: