Today I will list the top 5 essential oils (in my opinion) for children, discuss how they can be used, and mention some very important safety precautions! Before we get started, please note that the information provided is based on personal experience and research. These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. You should always consult with a physician or medical professional before using essential oils on children.
1) It is necessary that you ALWAYS dilute essential oils for children. Dilute with a carrier oil such as fractionated coconut oil or grapeseed oil.
- Infants: mix 1-2 drops of essential oil with 1 Tablespoon of carrier oil
- Children: mix 1-2 drops of essential oil with 1 teaspoon of carrier oil
2) Use caution when choosing where to apply essential oils. One of the best places to apply essential oils for children is on the bottoms of their feet and then cover with socks. This way children won’t accidentally get their hands on the oils and rub it in their eyes. You can apply oils on the soles of their feet or you can apply the oils directly to the reflex points on the feet. Once you feel your child is old enough not to rub their hands in the essential oil, you can choose to apply to other places such as chest and neck (depending on concern).
3) Some essential oils are photosensitive. This means that these essential oils could actually burn the skin if they are in direct sunlight. Here is a list of photosensitive essential oils. Avoid direct sunlight for 12-24 hours after using these essential oils on children. This is why applying to the feet is a great alternative as the oils are covered by socks and shoes!
4) I only recommend Pure Therapeutic Grade Essential Oils. Although many essential oils of this grade can be ingested, avoid internal use of essential oils for children. Stick to topical and aromatic use when using essential oils for children. Topical and Aromatic applications are described in more detail HERE.
Top 5 Essential Oils for Children:
1) Lavender is an essential oil that has many benefits for children. This oil is perfect for calming. Use lavender to help your child focus, calm down, or go to sleep. Apply to the bottoms of their feet as discussed above. Parents are you having difficulty sleeping? Check out essential oils to help adults sleep! Other common uses for lavender with children are:
- Helps to reduce a fever
- Soothe cuts, bruises and burns
- Helps soothe skin irritation and diaper rash
- Relief from teething and teeth grinding
- Soothe sunburn
2) Melaleuca, also known as Tea Tree Oil is a must have essential oil for children. Melaleuca has antibacterial, antifungal, and antiseptic properties making it essential for cuts and scrapes! Other common uses for Melaleuca are:
- Helping with earache pain (dilute and apply behind ear).
- Head lice hates Tea Tree!
- Helps to clean and cuts and scrapes (use with lavender)
3) Lemon has many uses for children. Don’t forget this essential oil is photosensitive so please follow safety recommendations above. Lemon essential oil has antiviral, anti-fungal, and antioxidant Common uses with children:
- Helps to manage symptoms related to cold and flu
- Can help to relieve constipation
- Parents: Lemon essential oil is awesome in helping to remove sticky/gummy messes!
- Also great as an all-natural alternative to chemical household cleaners. Learn more about cleaning with essential oils!
4) Frankincense is known as the King of Oils! If you don’t know what to use, use Frank! Frankincense has anti-infectious, anti-inflammatory, and antiseptic properties, just to name a few! Common uses for children include:
- Helps to relieve coughs
- Use for infected wounds and inflammation
- Help prevent scarring (use Frankincense in combination with Lavender for burns.
Please note these are only 5 of many essential oils that can be used with children! To learn other essential oils that are safe for children, check out Plant Therapy’s Safe Essential Oils for Children chart which is categorized by concern/ailment.
When using essential oils for children, please be sure to always follow the safety precautions listed above.
What are your favourite essential oils to use with children?
This post was shared at the Happy, Healthy, Green and Natural Party Hop!