For some reason I used essential oils for a few years before I ever even purchased eucalyptus essential oil! I had an idea in my head that it did not smell good- I have no idea where this thought came from because now I LOVE the smell of eucalyptus! I have no idea how I ever got by without this oil as I now use it very frequently and it is one of my favourites!
It came to my attention by someone who is very interested in essential oils that people often talk about ways to use the more common oils such as lemon, lavender, peppermint, and tea tree however there isn’t as much information on how to use the less common essential oils. While there are many many other essential oils, many of them aren’t in essential oil starter kits that various companies sell and therefore people new to essential oils are limited in the information they receive in classes.
In the coming weeks you will see blog posts on some of the essential oils which have a lot to offer but aren’t discussed as much. I will link to each of the blog posts below once they have been completed.
Ok, now let’s talk about the wonderful eucalyptus essential oil so you can understand why I love it so much!
How to Use Eucalyptus Essential Oil
Benefits of Using Eucalyptus Essential Oil:
Promotes Feeling of Relaxation:
The calming and relaxing properties of eucalyptus are one of the reasons why it is very commonly used in spas! I love even just smelling the bottle of eucalyptus as it is very relaxing, especially after a long day!
Using Eucalyptus for Relaxation
- Add 2-3 drops of eucalyptus to your diffuser and diffuse into the air
- If you don’t have a diffuser, don’t worry check out ways to diffuse essential oils without a diffuser!
- Add 1-2 drops of eucalyptus to your essential oil diffusing jewelry so you can enjoy the relaxing benefits anywhere you go! Learn about the benefits of diffusing jewelry here!
Promotes Feelings of Clear Breathing & Clear Airways:
This is my number one go to essential oil when I am feeling under the weather or have a plugged nose! I find eucalyptus works very quickly for this purpose which is one of the reasons why I love it so much!
Using Eucalyptus Essential Oil for Clear Breathing
- Diffuse 2 to 3 drops of eucalyptus in your diffuser or make my Breathe Deep or Breath of Fresh Air Diffuser Blends
- Make shower streamers using essential oil to allow you to benefit from the hot water in combination with eucalyptus to help support clear breathing!
- Mix 1-2 drops of eucalyptus with 2-3 drops of a carrier oil and apply to your chest
- You can also use eucalyptus to make your own natural vapour rub!
- Dilute 1 drop of eucalyptus essential oil with 1 drop of a carrier oil such as fractionated coconut oil or grapeseed oil and apply under your nose. Caution: If your nose if feeling raw I would not recommend this as it can create a burning sensation.
Helps to Reduce Odours
Thankfully eucalyptus is a deodorizing oil which can help you to remove harsh smells from your home!
How to Use Eucalyptus to Reduce Odors:
- Make a foot & shoe deodorizing powder to use on these items as well as in other areas in your home that are unpleasant!
- One thing I plan to make in the very near future are garbage can deodorizing pucks which will definitely include eucalyptus essential oil!
- Make your own bathroom air freshening spray which can be used in any room you choose
- Add 2-3 drops of eucalyptus to your diffuser to help deodorize larger spaces in your home.
Helps to Cool You Down
I have only recently learned that eucalyptus can help you to cool down, before now I have only ever used peppermint for cooling.
Using Eucalyptus Essential Oil for Cooling:
- Make your own frozen cooling towels using eucalyptus (I can’t wait to try these)!
- Make your own cooling foot butter
Get Rid of Pesky Bugs
Whenever we go camping I seem to be the one that mosquitoes love most and I feel like I am being eaten alive (that’s probably dramatic but you get the idea)!
Using Eucalyptus to Ward Off Bugs
- This year I made one of the bug spray recipes which used (lemongrass, eucalyptus and lavender) from One Essential Community and it worked amazingly well! Get all of the bug spray recipes here!
Safety Precautions for Eucalyptus Essential Oil
- If you are pregnant or nursing it is important that you speak to a medical professional prior to using eucalyptus.
- Eucalyptus may cause skin sensitivity. If you have sensitive skin be sure to dilute eucalyptus in a carrier oil of your choice prior to applying to your skin.
- Regardless of the brand, eucalyptus essential oil should not be ingested.
- Learn more about general essential oil safety precautions here!
There you have it, some of the benefits of eucalyptus essential oil and some ideas on how you can use it! I hope this post has helped to outline why eucalyptus is one of my very favourite essential oils!
I would love to hear from you, how do you use eucalyptus essential oil? Please leave your comments below!
Free EO Email Course!
Sign up and you will receive an email every day for 5 days to help you feel prepared and confident when using essential oils to naturally support your family's health & wellness!