Many of us struggle to get the recommended 7-8 hours of sleep per night. There are many reasons why this seems to happen:
- We have too much on our minds causing us to overthink at night
- We are exposed to screens to close to bedtime or we use our phones in bed (I am bad for this one)
- Some people find that they can fall asleep ok but never feel rested as they wake up multiple times during the night
- For some it may be a caused by a chronic medical condition
- And sometimes it seems that we are just so busy we don’t have enough time (or so we think) to sleep. Whether it’s staying up late to finish something or waking up early to make up for lost time, there always seems to be something that impacts our sleep.
While essential oils will not solve chronic conditions, they can help you to feel more relaxed and can help you to have a more restful sleep. Today I want to share some of my favourite essential oils for sleep & ones that my family have found helpful!
**If you prefer to watch/listen as opposed to read then scroll down to the bottom of the post to see the Facebook live video that I did to share my family’s favourite essential oils for sleep!**
My Family’s Favourite Essential Oils to Help With Sleep
Cedarwood Essential Oil
Cedarwood essential oil is my personal #1 favourite oil to help with sleep. Initially I didn’t think the woodsy smell of this oil would be something I would enjoy but it turns out I have found that it is quite relaxing.
There are a few ways I will use cedarwood to help with sleep:
1) Apply 1-2 drops to my wrists before bed.
2) Diffuse 2 drops of cedarwood & 3 drops of lavender in the bedroom before bed. You can get the details here! Although I find this diffuser blend to be quite helpful but the problem is that I am always in bed before I realize and the motivation is never quite strong enough to make me get up & use it!
Lavender Essential Oil
The smell of lavender used to turn me off as I found the scent to be quite powerful. I probably went close to a year without using lavender but in the past year and a half I have found a new love for it and use it for what seems like everything. Lavender is a wonderful oil and it is the only one I would recommend for little ones with sleep. Others who have more experience with using essential oils on children may be able to provide other suggestions but in my opinion lavender will work wonders!
How to Use Lavender for Sleep:
1) As noted above I like to use it in combination with lavender in my diffuser
2) My dad finds that using 8 drops of cedarwood and 8 drops of lavender in a 10ml roller bottle is quite helpful. Fill the roller bottle to the top with fractionated coconut oil. Always shake the bottle below application and then apply to your wrists and/or the bottoms of your feet.
3) Some people have had great experience with putting a drop of lavender on their pillow. Personally I found this to be too strong for me and didn’t sleep well as a result. I would recommend mixing 12-15 drops of lavender with 2 ounces of water in a glass spray bottle and mist it on your pillow case or bedding when you are ready to go to sleep.
Using Lavender with Children:
It is very important that essential oils are diluted prior to being used with children. You can use my dilution chart to help you determine how much oil you should use based on your child’s age.
You can get the free dilution chart here.
Balance Essential Oil Blend (Grounding Blend)
I feel like I could write a whole post just on the benefits of balance as it is one I use often to help with mood management and relaxation. For this reason it is a great one to use to help you unwind and relax when you are ready for bed. Balance is a blend of the following oils: Spruce, Ho Wood, Frankincense, Blue Tansy, and Blue Chamomile. You can learn more about Balance here.
How to Use Balance for Sleep:
1) Simply applying 1-2 drops on your wrists is often enough for many to help them get to sleep however for me balance on it’s own often is not enough for me when sleep is concerned.
2) I find the using cedarwood in combination with Balance is helpful. Simply apply 1 drop of each to your wrist and rub your wrists together. Whenever I apply an oil to my wrists I will also bring my arms up to my face and take a few deeps breaths in through my nose and out through my mouth. Not only is this another way to benefit from the oils but I often find that those deep breaths help me to unwind before bed.
3) Use Balance in combination with Serenity essential oil blend. More on this below!
Serenity Essential Oil Blend (Restful Blend)
This is another wonderful & relaxing blend from doTERRA. It was actually this blend that I started using in the beginning but since I wasn’t loving lavender at the time this one kind of put me off a bit but it worked wonderfully! If I hadn’t come across cedarwood (which personally works best for me), then I would still be using this wonderful blend. The Serenity blend used to be the calming blend but has recently been changed to add of Cedarwood, Ho Wood, and Vetiver to help with sleep. You can learn more about Serenity here.
How to Use Serenity for Sleep:
1) You can simply apply 1-2 drops to the bottom of your feet or to your wrists. Again if you are applying to your wrists be sure to take in a few deep breaths as well.
2) My family has had great success with using equal parts of Balance & Serenity in a roller bottle with fractionated coconut oil and they apply it to their wrists and/or feet. To make this blend I would recommend using 8-10 drops of each oil.
3) Finally I would imagine that diffusing 2 drops of Balance & 2 drops of Serenity would be quite wonderful as well but personally I have not tried this as I am more likely to use essential oils topically when it comes to sleep.
If you asked my family which oils they prefer for sleep the answers would be:
Me- Cedarwood on wrists and when I am stressed before bed I use cedarwood & Balance.
My Husband– He uses cedarwood sometimes but has always had great luck using Serenity.
My Dad– A roller bottle with equal parts cedarwood & lavender.
My In-Laws: The majority of my husband’s side of the family likes using equal parts of Balance & Serenity on their wrists & feet.
As you can see there is no one solution and each person has their own preference. That said, these 4 oils in some combination have worked very well to help my family catch some ZZZ’s!
You can also check out this Facebook live video that I did on this very topic!
There you have it, my family’s favourite ways to use essential oils for sleep!