Last year I shared a recipe for my cough drops with essential oils. These cough drops work incredibly well and taste pretty good too! While these cough drops work very well, I can no longer have them as 8 months ago I removed refined sugar from my diet. Sugar was making me feel horrible to the point where I would have to lay down shortly after eating sugar. As much as I LOVE SUGAR, it was no longer worth it to have it as part of my diet.
Clearly there is a need in my life to have a homemade no sugar added cough drop recipe that I can make quickly when we are feeling under the weather!
As you may know/remember from some of my other DIY essential oil recipes, I don’t have a ton of patience when it comes to DIY projects. So it is important that any recipes I make are quick and easy to make! The recipe for my no sugar added cough drops is no different, this literally took my less than 10 minutes to make and uses a total of 3 ingredients!
It is important to note that not all essential oils can be ingested. My recipe is made using doTERRA essential oils which states that the 2 oils I use can be ingested. It is important to read the labels prior to ingesting essential oils. There is a lot of varying opinions when it comes to ingesting oils so I highly recommend you do your own research first. This article may help you get started when researched whether or not to ingest essential oils.
Homemade No Sugar Added Cough Drops with Essential Oils
What You’ll Need:
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 14 drops lemon essential oil
- 8 drops On Guard essential oil
How to Make it:
- Put the honey and coconut oil into a mixing bowl.
- Using a hand blender mix the 2 ingredients for about 20 seconds or until combined.
- Once your mixture is combined, add the essential oils to the mixture and fold a few times so the oils are worked in.
- Line a tray or plate with parchment paper and use a spoon to drop dollops of the mixture onto the parchment paper.
- Place the try in the freezer for about 30 minutes.
- Pull them out of the freezer when you are ready to use them.
Yield: This recipe made 20 cough drops but I made a few larger than I should have so I would expect you can get 24 cough drops out of this recipe.
Notes about using your cough drops:
- I would recommend you keep the cough drops in the freezer or at least the fridge as honey and coconut oil will both melt if they get warm.
- When you put the cough drops in your mouth you will notice that they are considerable softer than my other essential oil cough drops. That said they still seem to work great forn soothing the throat
- Keep your cough drops in an airtight container or use small pieces of parchment paper to make individual wrappers for them.
- Keep out of the heat, due to the natural consistency of both the honey and coconut oil, these will melt if exposed to heat.
There you have it, homemade no sugar added cough drops made with essential oils to help soothe your throat!
Now that you have the recipe, where do you plan to store it? On a scrap of paper? Pinterest? Written on whatever was near you at the time? I was always finding great essential oil recipes but didn’t have a place to store them! This resulted in scraps of paper that often got lost or pinterest pins that got buried on my boards. So I decided to solve this problem by creating my Essential Oil Toolkit & Recipe Journal! Take a sneak peak at the video below and if you like what you see, purchase your copy as a paperback book or PDF printable HERE!
I’d love to hear how this recipe works for you! After you make it please leave me a comment below!