It seems that those of us who live with depression often feel the need to keep how we are feeling to ourselves as we worry that we will ‘burden’ our loved ones if they know how we truly feel. By keeping our feeling to ourselves we often get caught in a place where our emotions continue to build until we get to the point where we just don’t have the energy to care anymore. Feeling like you don’t care (about anything) is such a scary feeling and a very dark place to be in, and man, it’s hard to bounce back from that!
Truths People Living with Depression Will Understand
If you are living with depression, I think these statements will sound very familiar to you:
1) There is nothing worse than feeling depressed when by all accounts things in your life are going well and you ‘should’ be happy.
2) You start thinking more and more negatively and while you often know what you are doing, you just can’t stop.
3) You know what it’s like to sleep for a full 8 (or more) hours and yet still feel like you could sleep for days.
4) There are days when all the money, chocolate, or love in the world couldn’t make you get out of bed.
5) You know what it feels like to walk around with a smile on your face while on the inside you are barely holding it together.
6) There is nothing more isolating than opening up to someone about how you are feeling and hearing things like “it is just a phase”, “you are just having a bad day” and the best of them all… “have you tried exercising”.
7) You know what it’s like to feel completely hollow and numb even when doing the things you love most.
My intention in sharing these truths is not to make you feel worse, rather to show you that you are not going through this alone. There are many of us who are/have been feeling as you are now and when you are depressed it is so important to know you aren’t alone and that there really are people who understand how you are feeling!
My friend Lauren Roerick is a health coach and she has also felt like this in her early twenties. This led Lauren to explore natural treatments including yoga, meditation, nutrition, and cognitive behavioural therapy. After completing her thesis study on integrative depression treatment, she felt that this information wasn’t easily accessible in a neat complete package. After realizing this, Lauren created a powerful video course to teach you what she’s learned and to help you make lasting changes in your own life.
Lauren is the creator of The Undepression Project, a website that helps to share information on depression treatment and fight the stigma of mental illness, and a certified holistic health coach specializing in depression recovery. She combines her expertise in nutrition, yoga, and depression recovery to provide her clients with a multifaceted approach to combatting depression.
Until March 10th she’s offering a discount to anyone who reads/follows Painted Teacup. All you need to do is check out the link below and enter the code CHANTAL50 at the checkout to get $50 off this incredible program.
Here’s Lauren’s program, Overcome Depression: 4 Weeks to Feel Like Yourself Again
If you are living with depression please remember that you are not alone (even if you feel like you are)! I encourage you to seek out supports from loved ones, speak to your doctor or counsellor, or check out Lauren’s program!