I am excited to share this guest post with you which was written by Demi Giles! In this post Demi shares super easy tips on how to clean your makeup brushes naturally using essential oils! These recipes seem very easy to make and sound like they would do a wonderful job getting the makeup and grime off of your brushes.
Please note that this post includes affiliate links which means I make a small commission (at no additional cost to you) if you purchase through the links in this post.
Let’s turn it over to Demi!
How to Clean Your Makeup Brushes with Essential Oils
When it comes to make-up, ladies love buying the latest eye shadows, new lip gloss, the new blush brush, new eyeliner, etc. We spend so much money on all of the different kinds of make-up and make-up tools! The makeup eventually runs out but we use the makeup tools and brushes for a very long time, especially the expensive ones! We all need to get in the habit of cleaning our makeup brushes and tools on a regular basis.
You notice that after a while your make-up brushes look dirty and soaked with make-up, and you just throw them away and buy new ones, right? Well, what if a told you that there is a very simple and easy way to clean your makeup brushes & tools and prolong their lives?
Do you every just think about the condition of your make-up brushes? They are our makeup weapons, and we should be a bit more attentive towards them. We use them every single day and what do we do with them? We touch our faces, which means they should be perfectly clean and sanitized, but are they? Most girls just do not pay attention to the fact that there is bacteria, oils, dead skin cells, old makeup, and other nasty things on their brushes. And they put them on their faces! How terrible!
I am going to tell you how to clean your makeup brushes with a DIY cleaners, and the best part is that you will get to use essential oils! I know I’m a sucker for essential oils! They are just a gift sent to us from heaven, and I love them so much!
But who really has the time to deal with cleaning their make-up brushes? Well, for all of us who lack the free time to clean our brushes, here is a very simple DIY recipe you can use!
How to Clean Your Makeup Brushes:
For all of the busy bees out there, here is a very easy and simple way to maintain your brushes clean and disinfected:
What You Need:
- Tea Tree Essential Oil
- Another essential oil scent of your choice
- Glass Spray bottle
How to Make it:
- Put about 5-6 drops of the tea tree oil (tea tree because it has anti-fungal properties and is a great disinfectant) and 4-5 drops of the other essential oil (I would recommend lavender) into a glass spray bottle.
- Fill the rest of the spray bottle with water
- Shake well and ta-da! You can use it to spray your brushes every day to keep them clean. Spray your brushes a few times, wipe them off with a tissue – and you are done!
I learned this recipe from professional cleaners from CleanStart Cleaners Islington .
Deep Clean Your Makeup Brushes:
If you have more time to spend, then this is the recipe for you! You can even use this recipe to naturally clean combs and hair brushes!
What You Need:
- 2 TBSP of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 TSBP of dishsoap/castile soap
- 5-10 drops of essential oil (of your choice) Learn about the best essential oils for skin here!
How to Make it:
- In a small bow put 2-3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, 2 tbsp soap and 5-10 drops of essential oil of your choice. Choose one for the properties or for the smell.
- In a circular motion swirl your brushes in the mixture, you will notice the dirt coming right off.
- Then rinse your brushes off under running warm water and wipe with a towel.
- Your brushes are clean and ready to be used!
I personally like using chamomile, lemongrass and grapefruit but you can use any kind you want. Most of the essential oils have anti-bacterial properties, which is what you need, and also smell great. This way of cleaning your makeup brushes is perfect for makeup and essential oils aficionados.
There you have it, how to clean your makeup brushes quickly & naturally using essential oils!
Demi Giles owns a small cleaning company, based in London. In her free time, she enjoys writing about homemade cleaning detergents, DIY projects and home organizing!
Are you interested in purchasing essential oils to help naturally support your family’s health and wellness?