I have been experimenting with many different DIY recipes lately! As you know from my relaxing soap, bug spray, essential oil sprays and foaming hand soap, I am all about easy recipes! I have already shared a sugar scrub recipe on the blog but this time I want to switch it up a bit by adding coffee and peppermint essential oil!
I decided to do a video for this post which was a lot of fun to make! I plan to continue to make recipe videos as the summer progresses (see the ones I have done so far on my facebook page) and have enjoyed working on them but man it’s a big learning curve!
Anyway, back to the recipe! One of the main reasons I chose to use peppermint is because the scent goes nicely with coffee… you wouldn’t believe how hard it is to find a good combo. That said peppermint essential oil is has a calming effect when applied to the skin and is also great for making your skin feel cool and refreshed!
Please note that this post includes affiliate links which means I make a small commission (at no additional cost to you) if you purchase through the links in this post.
Without further ado, let’s get to the recipe!
DIY Coffee Sugar Scrub with Peppermint Essential Oil
What You Need:
- 3/4 cup of sugar
- 3/4 cup of ground coffee
- 3/4 cup of coconut oil (Canadian’s I use this one)
- 10 drops of doTERRA peppermint essential oil
- Glass storage jar (I got mine at the dollar store)
- Sugar scrub label (optional of course)
Note: if you don’t have solid coconut oil you could substitute with 3/4 of another carrier oil however the consistency may change. I would recommend adding the substituted oil in gradually so that you can have more control over the texture.
How to Make it:
To get the directions you can watch the video below or follow these written instructions.
1) Melt the coconut oil in the microwave or using a double boiler. If you use the microwave I recommend starting with 15 seconds, stir and then continue with 15 second intervals.
2) In a mixing bowl combine the sugar, coffee, peppermint essential oil and coconut oil and stir well.
3) Store in a glass container & apply sugar scrub label if you choose.
Using Your Coffee Sugar Scrub
1) I don’t recommend using this scrub too close to bedtime as peppermint is an energizing oil and will likely make it difficult for you to fall asleep.
2) You can use this coffee sugar scrub on just your hands (this is what we did and it leaves your skin feeling SO soft and smooth) or you can apply it to your whole body in the shower.
3) After you rub the scrub in be sure to wash your hands well to avoid rubbing peppermint in your eyes!
There you have it, an easy to make coffee sugar scrub recipe!
If you don’t have a place to store your recipes check out my essential oil toolkit & recipe journal available as a paperback book or a printable PDF! Get yours here!